This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sonar 08 - GhettoHighlights

I just got back from Sonar in Barcelona. It was mucho fun. My third visit to the festival. In between necking rioja and staggering around tapas bars I managed to see some music. 

El Guincho's percussive thunderstorm sounded great in an afternoon alcoholic haze. Tropical FXs and infinite Canary Island psyche loops under the Spanish sun.

Highly recommended summer listening is his Fader mix.


(pic from Dani Melo flickr)

How did Diplo follow Madness's Baggy Trousered crowd pleasing antics. With Baile funk. Good. I had my first ever taste of funk four years ago at Sonar when DJ Marlboro kicked my ass. A small victory for the funk sound then - 4 years later its still alive for the Euro festival masses. Three tracks in a row, Gaiola do Popozudas, Sandrinho's Organ Donor remix and something else. Hearing funk on a massive soundsystem to thousands was amazing. Shame it was in a sterile aircraft hanger sized building, only for about 10 minutes. I wanted more though the following Crookers remix of Day 'n' Night was immense. Couldn't help feeling that it would have been a bit more forward thinking for Sonar to book some of the Nuevo Cumbia DJs rather than Justice or Soulwax or whatever. Maybe next year.


Buraka Som Sistema were an absolute power house of a shear kuduro assault. Full marks from Vamanos. A new girl replaced Petty whose name I missed. She was an awesome mc backed by double drumming from L'il John & DJ Riot. A new track Kalemba, listen here, was fierce. The sound of kuduro knocked at my door in a big way. And made me go deaf unfortunately. Literally. My hearing hasn't yet recovered. It was bloody good. Don't worry though, you can imagine you were there with this incredible phone pic I took. or not.

NEW BIT - Listen here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H e l l o . . . N i c e . . . B l o g . . . P U S H . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .