This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cold Cold World

The first live Dubstep gig I went to was at a small venue called SF Underground in San Francisco. The crunk meets reggae meets everything heavy mix was exciting and fresh to me, it reminded of the first time I heard Lil' John and Bia Bia'ed and threw my bows.

About a month ago, I went to Surya Dub's party in SF. I thought the resident crew killed it, and guest Maga Bo amazed me by doing live remixes of traditional sounding Brazilian tunes with Dancehall beats. Without getting too much into detail tho', the headlining DJ, The Bug threw me a little bit. Perhaps I didn't get it.

Until I saw this:



This video aesthetic reminds me of something... on top of a building... industrial city... tough mugging directly into the camera... think back... the 90's?... ... ... ... Wu Tang! Now I think back and remember that The Bug was wearing a Wu Tang T-shirt, and finally it dawned on me. This is that stripped down, northern industrial (cold) city, street music, but through a U.K./Jamaica interpretive lens.

Suddenly, perhaps I get it.

9 comments:

Soul Cocina said...

Maga Bo never ceases to amaze.

Dub step in general is something I like and appreciate but I feel like an outsider. It does not hit my heart like hip hop, dancehall, salsa, cumbia...

Seems like everyone around me has been hyping The Bug and I never quite understood either.. appreciate yes, but really understand.. not quite. This video gives off a strong feeling and vibe. I like it. Wutangesque fo sure.

Sury Dub is definitely one of the most exciting parties here in SF. The next one will be off the hook with Bersa Discos and the DJs DJ... Vanka plus Taal Mala

BodyMusik Unlimited: Hang Up DJ (H.U.D.), Chalib, URL MONRO, Original Redhandz, Blungo Ma, et autres. said...

I gotta bring this up... if you listen to TRIM's myspace tune called "flow" (it's little more than a scketch), he gets on this Londonese patois type flow that Flowdan all of a sudden tries to rep and just murders the style, shows that he can beat pretty much any MC in LON at their own game. You hear that? NOt sure if it's still up.

The BUG video is live though, standard. Yet none of his records/singles touch the stuff on Hyperdub for being future-classic, timeless material. The production is a bit played-out a la Rephlex late 90's.

Nice post.

BodyMusik Unlimited: Hang Up DJ (H.U.D.), Chalib, URL MONRO, Original Redhandz, Blungo Ma, et autres. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boima said...

Cool, good to hear the LON (not LDN?) insider view on this. I do like some of the stuff I've hear from Roll Deep Crew. But Trim is a former member? Beefers!

LOL at the Grimepedia page I found while looking for Trim's myspace page!

http://www.grimegenre.com/Trim

Anonymous said...

Only Lily Allen and such c#nts living in West London say LDN.

L-O-N, standard.

Say "LDN" in the East End and it's lights out, innit.

boima said...

Okay! I'll switch it up.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I just didnt get it, whats the name of the first tune? Like to know that ^^

Greetings
Anselm

Boima said...

Skeng is the name of the tune by The Bug

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H e l l o . . . N i c e . . . B l o g . . . P U S H . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .