This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Sunday, November 09, 2008

I Stay Fresh Like I'm Wrapped in Plastic!

Cocaine Blunts pointed out that Diddy is going to release an Electro Rap album. While annoyed by certain music that gets labled Electro these days, for some reason I'm real excited about certain locales/genres exploring this trend. I see the U.K. has been going through their Electro-Grime phase, it seems like French Africans are on board. Panama and Jamaica are definitely heading that way as well. Right now the possibility of a full on Bambaata/Detroit Electro aesthetic revival on U.S. Hip Hop Radio (and/or underground) has got me geeked.

I moved to the Bay Area amidst the height of the hyphy summer, before Mac Dre died, and as I crossed the Bay Bridge for the first time on my way in to SF, I was welcomed by the song "Hyphy" by The Federation played on the local Rap radio station. Mainstream radio was full of tracks out of Atlanta and the Bay that referenced early Electro Rap, uptempo beats, and party vibes. Maybe it was the magic of living in a new place, but I remember some off the hook parties.

The other day I was on the bus and I hear come out of a cell phone an uptempo beat and a verse that breaks in, "this is that automatic, I stay fresh like I'm wrapped in plastic. The girl sitting next to me jumps up dancing and screams, "this slap!" And I was sent into a mid-day MUNI Hyphy flashback.

Common's U.M.C. (Universal Mind Control)


Now check this craziness out! (By the Dallas Austin Experience):



Give me more please!!!

2 comments:

Birdseed said...

I was ready to dismiss this post at first (because everyone and their grandmother is "electro" these days) but damn if you aren't right - there are clear influences from the actual proper old-school electrofunk era somehwere in all of these tracks. See, I never made that connection with 1, 2 step before!

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H e l l o . . . N i c e . . . B l o g . . . P U S H . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .