This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Put the Funk in Funky


Yes I'm going on and on about U.K. funkiness, but I got it on the brain. I've been wondering why the name U.K. Funky. On the surface, the genre seems to have more roots in house, soca, grime, broken beat, or afrobeat, which are all funky in their own ways, but when I think funk, especially while living in Oakland, a completely different idea comes to mind. Today, while listening to some more tunes, I was suddenly reminded of a track by Romanthony that is buried in my vinyl collection.

I ripped it to digital (sorry for the crackles, not up on my vinyl ripping game.) Here's some real FUNKY shit, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were an influence on the new U.K. Funky sound:

Bring You Up-Romanthony


Someone commented on another blog that Romanthony is from Nueva Jersey (Ok, his bio says so), but Bring You Up was released on a U.K. label, and is probably more familiar in the U.K. than the U.S. His biggest claim to fame is voicing two tracks for Daft Punk, one of them probably being their biggest hit.

Auto-tuned? Daft Punk-One More Time
'

You can buy the track Bring You Up on vinyl at Phonica Records.

2 comments:

Web Designer said...

Thanks for this video

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H e l l o . . . N i c e . . . B l o g . . . P U S H . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .