This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Vamanos y Boima

(Via)

Yesterday I spent a good couple hours trying whittle down the Reggaeton section in my iTunes down from 3 GB to 1 GB (not including Reggae en Espanol, Merengueton, or Cumbiaton,) and in the process listened to a lot of dramatic synths and Dem Bow snares. A fan of Reggaeton I've been, ever since my days in Madison, when the homie Jeffrey and I bonded over General Degree's Traffic Blocking, and the CD-R of his homie back in PR's dem-bow, demo. But, after going through my 100th Luny Tunes production, it started to feel a little like this:



Anyway, I'm excited about the book. And perhaps this process of shaving the fat is kind of like a refresher on why I liked the music so much in the first place.

The other day in the Reggaeton section of my RSS reader, a new CD by the duo Baby Rasta & Gringo popped up. I initially passed it up (because of my bursting at the seams harddrive) but the name rung in my head associated with something I liked before. Then I remembered the name from one of the Playero mixes I had heard floating around. I did a search and came up with this wonderfulness:



I did some further research (read Wikpedia) and saw that apparently the duo's 2004 release, Sentenciados, was a widely bootleged underground smash. Their hit song off that album is an example of Reggaeton at its finest:

El Carnaval


And here is a track off their new album The Comeback:

No Es Macarena


Sidenote: Can anybody out there explain the duo format of Reggaeton? Jowell y Randy, Hector y Tito, Angel y Khris, y todos ellos, is it because of the singer and rapper combination?

4 comments:

Gabriel Heatwave said...

I imagine the popularity of the singer/rapper combination in reggaeton comes, like the Dem Bow rhythm, from early 90s dancehall.

Chaka Demus & Pliers
Buju Banton & Wayne Wonder
Flourgon & Sanchez
Ninjaman & Tinga Stewart
Tanto Metro & Devonte (later)
etc

The duos in dancehall aren't always permanent pairings like in reggaeton though...

Khiasma / Guillaume said...

Guys!
I've been saying that for two years now: when is Souljazz releasing a good series of early reggaeton compilation? Like 91 to 94? This is would be sooooo good.

Boima said...

Oh Yeah! The Dancehall cats were doing it when these dudes started. It seems like it has taken on a life of it's own though. Thanks Gabriel. You're coming this way soon no?

And Guillaume, a vinyl collection of early Reggaeton would be GREAT! I second that request!

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . H e l l o . . . N i c e . . . B l o g . . . P U S H . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .