This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Frisco to Wisco

(Image from the Marquette Tribune)

You don't really notice idiosyncrasies in the places you grow up until you leave and come back. I grew up in Milwaukee (yes it is Algonquin for "the good land.") I spent the holidays there this past week. Beer is big, sausages are big, Polka is big... kind of. We sang Polka songs at baseball games, 'long side Take me out to the Ballgame.



I went to a clubbing district in downtown to meet up with friends and all the buildings were in an old German style, including bars advertised as German Beer Halls, mixed in with trendy lounges with Italian names (not an homage to the city's Italian community a few miles away.) I went to my grandmother's house and learned the names of the towns where the ancestors on my mother's side immigrated from (in release of submission to the King of Prussia.) The German immigrants who came to Wisconsin in the late 19th and mid 20th century tried hard to erase their connections to their old world, but culture doesn't disappear. Sometimes it's just what you do that makes you who you are.

I got put on to Schlachthofbronx through the Masala crew not too long ago. This German crew is doing a great job updating their folk musical roots. It makes me hope that maybe some kid in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin will hear this and get inspired to make some crunked up Polka. The intro to this tune makes me feel like I'm at a Brewers game:

Landergschwister Isatalerghettoschuten


And speaking of crunked up Polka:

La Niña Fresa (Remix)


Banda-Juke-Cumbia courtesy Banda Zeta

9 comments:

Boima said...

A little more hometown pride:

The Great Sausage Race, which when I was growing up were dots on a screen at County Stadium. People really get into this cheering for their favorite sausage. Ethnic pride? It's one of those American cities, where white people aren't white. They're Polish, Greek, Serbian, Russian, Jewish, German, Italian, or Irish.

I remember a few years back Sausage Gate, was a good laugh for people on the news shows, and it seems that they've recently added a chorizo,.

Man, this is getting disturbing.

Joseph Pujol said...

Thanks for these tunes man. I love it. I'm trying to find some occitanista (south of france folk music) remix in order to make you hear that kind of stuff.

Boulibaï !!

Birdseed said...

My favourite German in this vein is probably Alexander Marcus, who seamlessly mixes folksy schlager and hard beats into "electrolore". Although I guess that's rather more camp.

Joseph Pujol said...

Have a look on this short track.

It's a a "Massilia Sound System" mix with some Occitan sounds.

I love that.

"Occitanin Honkin"

http://www.deezer.com/track/102388

Enjoy !!

Boima said...

Hey Occitanin Honkin is dope! To my ears it sounds like Arabic or Irish influence in there, no?

But Birdseed, Alexander Marcus, that one's a little creepy. Put on a shirt homie!

Joseph Pujol said...

The arabic influence comes from the "vielle à roue" sound (Hurdy Gurdy/wheel fiddle ?). It's a medieval instrument we can find in many folk musics in Europe and in south of France too.

Check that incredible feeling. It kills me, every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DX08nQows0&feature=related

And an awesome track from "Dupain". I can't say that it's a pure "electro sound" but...be careful, fresh sound, so put a sweater and chain up your goat bwoy !!!

-Attention Danger Travail-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVp1p3Vz2jo

PS: I've listened to Alexander Marcus'stuff (papaya, 1,2,3 etc...)

What's fucking wrong with this guy ? I can't bear no more his igotagreatblowjobsmile !!

Tell me it's just a joke...please for the Obama's love !!!

See ya Gentlemen !!

Vamanos said...

Alexander Marcus, that one's a little creepy. Put on a shirt homie!

LOL !!!

Audio1 said...

La Niña Fresa was the favorite jam at the Oakland Coliseum Swap Meet about a decade ago.

eda said...

買煙火,製造浪漫煙火小舖,101煙火,煙火小舖,煙火,仙女棒,沖天炮,勝利之花,甩炮,升空煙火,衣蝶,衣蝶,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣商品,情趣,情趣,衣蝶情趣精品百貨,衣蝶情趣精品百貨,情趣用品衣蝶,情趣用品衣蝶,自慰套,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,AV女優,AV,電動按摩棒,按摩棒,G點,調情棒,後庭拉珠棒,跳蛋,變頻跳蛋,有線跳蛋,無線跳蛋,潤滑液,男女穿戴用品,穿戴用品,情趣內衣,性感內衣,情趣跳蛋,角色扮演,情趣角色扮演,丁字褲,情趣內褲,性感內褲,性感吊帶襪,網襪,性感網襪,T字褲,煙火批發,情趣禮品,成人用品,情趣內衣,情趣精品,情趣商品,單身戀人圖影區,自慰器,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,真愛密碼情趣用品,真愛密碼,真愛密碼,真愛密碼情趣用品,
自慰套,飛機杯,充氣娃娃,AV女優,AV,電動按摩棒,按摩棒,G點,調情棒,後庭拉珠棒,跳蛋,變頻跳蛋,有線跳蛋,無線跳蛋,潤滑液,男女穿戴用品,穿戴用品,情趣內衣,性感內衣,情趣跳蛋,角色扮演,情趣角色扮演,丁字褲,情趣內褲,性感內褲,性感吊帶襪,網襪,性感網襪,T字褲,自慰器,貓裝