This page has moved to http://ghettobassquake.com/

Sunday, March 07, 2010

Van Dyke Parks


Bit of a curveball here, but i thought i'd throw it in. I have been going through a bit of a Van Dyke Parks phase recently but i never thought it would give me something to blog about here at GBQ.


Anyway, his misleadingly titled Discover America album is full of good time calypso rhythms that shows there was a bit of the Les Baxter about him.


What struck me most though (and made me post it here) is that the album seems like what GBQ's first signing AJ Holmes and The Hackney Empire would make if their hearts were in Trinidad not Ghana.


Check my favourite track from the Discover America album below and also check out AJ's Myspace page if you don't know him yet


Van Dyke Parks - Steelband Music

No comments: